We made it!!! Thanks a million for everyone's support! If you would still like to join us in support of young adults with cancer and First Descents, please visit my page to make a donation. http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2010/fd/hughes/

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Biking Progress

The journey thus far has taken me from the ocean shores in Anacortes, WA through the Skagit River Valley, up and over the North Cascade Mountains (apparently through a short stint of desert...according to one of the locals), and finally into the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. I have ridden for 9 out of 10 days and crossed the state of Washington. I expected that this journey would start out much slower than I am accustomed to due to the mountains and my not-so-diligent training as the summer progressed. :) In the mountains, I will guesstimate that I averaged 50-55 miles per day and since leaving the mountains about 70-75 miles per day for the past 2 days. So far, my body is holding up very well (again a bit surprising, due to the lack of training). Most of the information I read about others crossing the country warned me of severe saddle pain for the first 1-3 weeks. Well, a week and a half has passed and I am doing much better than expected. Road surfaces are variable rainging from super smooth concrete/cement to less than optimal new blacktop with freshly oiled loose gravel. It is usually the road surfaces that determine how frequently I am getting off my bike for "pressure relief" of my hands, feet, and seat. Otherwise, we are off to a great start. Crossed the WA/ID state line today and should cross the ID/MT state line tomorrow. Happy trails!

A breakfast shout out to my girls in Tillamook--the land of cheese, trees, and ocean breeze

Welcome to Idaho!

Pend Oreille Lake (pronounced pond-a-ray)

Bike path along the Pend Oreille Lake



2 comments:

  1. YAY Mary! So proud of you - and just wanted to let you know that Steve shared your email/letter with all of HHSM so now everyone can track your progess! Can't wait to see *the new* you this fall! CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete