We made it!!! Thanks a million for everyone's support! If you would still like to join us in support of young adults with cancer and First Descents, please visit my page to make a donation. http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2010/fd/hughes/

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day Four: The Day of Firsts

As most of you know, I am from the Midwest...as in the land of rolling hills and plains. I spent my "Spring training" in the Dominican Republic (without a bike) and in eastern Nebraska (the plains). My final week of training was RAGBRAI (the bike ride across Iowa) and this year, the course was exceptionally flat. I say "exceptionally" because it is definitely the exception to find a flat-ish route across Iowa, because Iowa is NOT FLAT! However, today was the first day I have ever crossed a mountain pass via bicycle!

Today's firsts...
1. Crossing my first mountain pass on my bicycle. Make that 2 mountain passes today!
2. Which lead to my first mountain descent on a bicycle. Thanks to George--"the crazy guy on a bike"--who heeded the warning of gravel on the second turn of the descent.
3. So, Mom received her first Good Samaritan Award of the trip for picking up a broken down and injured bicyclist who lost control and crashed in the gravel.
4. Yesterday, I had my first flat tire of the trip. Today, I had my second. :( Okay that wasn't really a first of today but close.
5. Last, but certainly not least. I had my first shower in 3 days! Yeah! Thanks to 5 years in the Dominican Republic for my moderate efficiency with bucket showers, but really just be thankful that these pictures are not scratch "n" sniff. :)

Warning: This is the beginning of full body spandex pictures. Proceed cautiously!

Skagit River

Entering the North Cascades

Changing my first flat tire :(

Gorge Lake

Spray-painted on the shoulder...approaching Rainy Pass. This one's for Corrie!

Rainy Pass (#1)

Washington Pass (#2)









Washington Pass Overlook. Yep, I climbed the road behind me.

My second flat tire :(

No comments:

Post a Comment