We made it!!! Thanks a million for everyone's support! If you would still like to join us in support of young adults with cancer and First Descents, please visit my page to make a donation. http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2010/fd/hughes/

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Deep Thoughts by Mary Hughes

My sister informed me today of a conversation she had with one of my college friends regarding this journey. His initial reaction was seriously, what could you possibly think about for all that time? Or even if you resorted to music, you would have to start back in the 1950s to find enough material to last that long. Well, then I started thinking. I have been on the bike for 7 days and really don't know what I have been thinking about. This is my conclusion...

The average human being only uses 10% of their available brain power. And while I can walk and chew gum, I can't pedal and think, so I must use about 7% of my available brain power. Done. Deep thoughts by Mary Hughes.

No. In all seriousness, a recurrent train of thought goes something like this. I am utterly amazed at the art of bicycling and the evolution of this journey. Bicycling is a non-invasive, efficient form of transportation that still allows you to sense and experience your surroundings. On my second day of riding, I was overcome with a sense of gratitude for this experience, because it is such a unique way to explore the country. The rush of gratitude came when I compared myself to the cars that were passing me. While they were moving faster, they could only visually enjoy the scenery. Then I thought, hmmm maybe I do understand why people enjoy riding motorcycles because they can enjoy the scenery without the confines of a car. Then a motorcycle vroomed by and ruined that train of thought. But with bicycling, as with many other sports, I am able to experience my surroundings with all my senses. I see the tall trees and the shadows the clouds form on the mountainside. I smell the pine trees, the fresh cut hay, the coffee shops, the rotting carcasses (yes, with good comes bad). I hear the rushing water of the mountain streams, the approaching cars, the chirping birds, the hum of the powerlines. I feel the wind against my face and the changing road surfaces. I am sure I am tasting more than I realize, but thankfully, I haven't tasted any bugs yet. :) I am continuously inundated with sensory overload. So because I am only capable of using 7% of my brain power, I really don't have much room for thinking with all this sensing. And ultimately, it is my awareness of my senses and my reactions to the sensory feedback that are keeping me safe on the road. Happy and safe pedaling!

Today's challenge: How far can I travel without pedaling? Speed must remain above 10 miles per hour. Result: 12.7 miles.

Sherman Pass: The highest mountain pass in the state of Washington

Sign at the top of Sherman Pass: "As You Share In The Journey: It's All Downhill From Here"

1 comment:

  1. Greetings. No golf today, rain. Had coffee instead with Jim. Also enjoyed his company Sunday evening for dinner at our house. We have made a small contribution to First Descents with Memo Mary Hughes and are enjoying following your blog. Called Tom Schmitt at the Nonpariel. Hope he assigns someone to get the news of your journey out to the entire CB community. Godspeed as you pedal upward and downward across this beautiful land. Linda & Duane

    ReplyDelete