We made it!!! Thanks a million for everyone's support! If you would still like to join us in support of young adults with cancer and First Descents, please visit my page to make a donation. http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2010/fd/hughes/

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Plan/Logistics

Everyone has a million questions about the logistics of this journey, so here is the lowdown.

Biking: Yes, this is a given. It's a bike ride across the entire United States (and a few portions of Canada). The plan is to average 400-500 miles of biking per week resulting in a 9-11 week journey. At this rate, there is still time to play and enjoy the country.

Lodging: The majority of nights we will be tent camping with the occasional stay with friends, family, and hotels. That being said, I do and will have limited access to Internet, so my apologies for the delay in blog posts.

Food/water: We are preparing most of our meals over a fire or a camping stove. Lunch is served picnic-style in a city park, campground, or somewhere random on the side of the road. I do carry ample food with me as well as 2 water bottles and a camelback.

Communication: This is evolving and will continue to evolve. Depending on the terrain and the weather conditions determines how often I plan to meet my mom (aka support vehicle). We have cell phones as well as long range walkie talkies. In the mountains, we plan to meet frequently because no form of communication is effective and the availability of alternate food and water can be scarce. On the plains, we will probably only be meeting for lunch.

Finances: My mom and I are funding our own way, so all donations go directly to First Descents.

I hope this answers your questions and a bit of insight into the next 3 months of our lives! Feel free to ask any more questions that may still be burning.



Eating lunch on the side of the highway

Home is where you park it

No comments:

Post a Comment