We made it!!! Thanks a million for everyone's support! If you would still like to join us in support of young adults with cancer and First Descents, please visit my page to make a donation. http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2010/fd/hughes/

Monday, August 23, 2010

Continental Divide and Century

It was a much better day...in fact, A GREAT DAY! Sooo STOKED!

REAL START:
After a good nights sleep and one helluva GAME ON pep talk, today started out much better. Well, it really started out again on Highway 93 (which is still an awful road), but I was in a much better frame of mind. Truthfully, the initial 9-mile Highway 93 stretch of my ride today isn't even accounted for in my daily statistics. I spent 9 miles on 93 before turning onto a county road. For those 9 miles, I was too busy concentrating on not dying that I didn't even notice that the computer on my bike (odometer, speedometer, time, and cadence) wasn't working. I finally readjusted the sensor after turning onto the county road. So, VAMOOSH 9 tedious miles gone!

COMPUTER START:
Today's ride started on a wonderful county road still covered with thick, morning fog. As the sun burned through the fog, I enjoyed the greatest 10-mile bike ride of my life. The road wound past beautiful ranches with lush, green pastures and the mountains emerged in the background. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the moment...I was at peace. Something about the moment took me back to the campo of La Guama in the Dominican Republic and I randomly started singing a Dominican song about drinking coffee in the campo. mmm Dominican coffee on a brisk morning. Who doesn't sing in Spanish while riding across the country?

After a zen-like 10 miles, it was back to the reality of this ride. The day included one more stint on Highway 93, back country roads through deep woods (and more singing in Spanish. Bew...bew, bew, bew, bew. Hey CDC girls!), a gravel road (two thumbs down), and Highway 2 from here to eternity. Long story short, it was a great day for riding and I was in the right mindset. After actually looking at a map, I realized I was quickly approaching the Continental Divide and had a route decision to make. From West Glacier there are two options for crossing the Continental Divide. Option 1: through Glacier National Park and over Logan Pass. Option 2: around Glacier National Park and over Marias Pass. Due to bicycle riding time restrictions in Glacier National Park and a lot of one lane, pilot car construction on the east and westside of Logan Pass, we opted for option 2.

and KaZAM, after a good nights sleep and one helluva GAME ON pep talk, it was a great day for riding. After 60 computer miles (69 total), I started dreaming of crossing to Continental Divide TODAY. I had started the day with one expectation...to cover at least 70 miles. And now that I had looked at the map and already almost covered 70 miles, I made up my mind that I would be crossing the Continental Divide TODAY. And not just that, but I would be completing my first ever century ride (100 miles) as well. And well, I can't be content with a straight 100 miles because I NEED to see the 100.00 mark on my computer, which means I have just set me goal for a 109 mile (thanks a lot, Highway 93). Mind you, I set this goal 30 miles before the Continental Divide, 30 miles before the mountain pass, prior to any significant elevation change. What am I thinking? Well, now is not the time to start second guessing myself. GAME ON!

Good news! The road to Marias Pass was in good condition and had a manageable grade of elevation. Phew! Because by this time, it was really a race against daylight. For the first 70 miles of my day, I was toodling along aiming to have a good 70-mile ride. Then to decide to add another 30-40 miles including a climb to the Continental Divide...haha...well, it was about time I started moving a little bit faster. As I started climbing, I felt awful, then great, then depleted, then great again...such a rollercoaster. But I DID IT!!! I reached the Continental Divide at 98 miles into my first century! After an 11 mile pedaling descent, I reached the town of West Glacier and my computer finally read 100.01 (109 total)! Woot woot! It was a GREAT DAY!

Planning on an easy 50-mile victory lap tomorrow...then a few days off my bike to enjoy Glacier National Park and my birthday! Que WOW, I am almost 29!


The view from the breakfast table. Yep, looks like a great day for a bike ride!

Cheese! Crossing the Countinental Divide...it's all downhill to the Mississippi River from here!

At 98 miles into my first century. haha, drama pic. I actually feel GREAT!

100.01 miles! Woot Woot!

1 comment:

  1. Mary Mary! It is such a privilege to read your blog and hear about your adventures. I am glad you got through your 4 day rough spot and are still cruising along! La Guama - is that like La Guamita de Hatillo - close to Jarabacoa? How many DR La Guama's can there be??? Regardless, cafe, Dominican bachatas, cool mountain air on a bike - perfect day.

    ReplyDelete