We made it!!! Thanks a million for everyone's support! If you would still like to join us in support of young adults with cancer and First Descents, please visit my page to make a donation. http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2010/fd/hughes/

Monday, October 18, 2010

They're Back

Headwind and hills...stopped riding as it started raining.
Nor'easter--day off
Nor'easter--day off
Headwind, rain, and mountains.
Headwind and mountains.

This is the weather/terrain combinations of the past five days. And this is the first nor'easter of the season. Aren't we just the luckiest bunch of wayward travelers? It was after a few days of similar dreariness that I may have posted that this (the bike ride) was the hardest thing I have ever done. Well, today, I officially revert that statement. I can't say as though this is the HARDEST thing I have every done...but I will confirm that this is one intense emotional rollercoaster.

Let's have Jesuit consolation/desolation reflection moment...
Sunshine brings me consolation.
Clouds and rain bring me desolation.
Tailwind brings me consolation.
Headwind brings me desolation.
Riding over a snowy mountain pass brings me some very cold hands and feet...over the pass (consolation), frozen phalanges (desolation).

Well, apparently my current limit of tolerance to rain and wind is four days. Yep, today was the fifth...riding uphill into very cold northern headwind. After twenty-five miles of riding with legs full of lead (or sand, hmmm, maybe I do believe in the Sandman), I reached the limit again...though this time with much more poise and class. Mom pulled over next to me, rolled down her window, and with one look and one statement, she knew...I was frustrated, exhausted, and deflated. Any guess on the one statement? "Mom, the tears are back." And I rode on.

No comments:

Post a Comment