We made it!!! Thanks a million for everyone's support! If you would still like to join us in support of young adults with cancer and First Descents, please visit my page to make a donation. http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2010/fd/hughes/

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Cinco Consecutive Century Challenge

One correction from a previous post from "Day Four: the Day of Firsts." I was NOT the biker who crashed in the gravel (everyone, knock on wood RIGHT NOW!). The boy from a teenage couple popped his tire and crashed in the gravel, scraping up his leg pretty bad. Mom--The Good Samaritan--stopped to help, picked him up, put his bike on the car, drove him down to the country store, and helped him clean out his wounds. Good work, Mom!

Anyways, I know I have been uber slow at blogging lately. Sorry! But I do have a good reason.

From a previous post, you know that I completed my first ever century while crossing the Continental Divide. Being a wee-bit competitive, I decided that it would be feasible--though a challenge--to complete three consecutive centuries. Well, in the matter of about a day, three turned into five, which became the Cinco Consecutive Century Challenge. Who do I think I am? She-ra? Wonder woman? Somebody who is actually in great physical shape? Ha, not by a long shot...but I am allowed to dream and set impossible goals.

Well, kids. "It's possible! For the world is full of zanies and fools who don't believe in sensible rule, and don't believe what sensible people say. And because these daft and dewey eyed dopes keep building up impossible hopes impossible things are happening every day. It's possible!" Name that Disney movie...1...2...3...Cinderella.

It's possible! I completed the Cinco Consecutive Century Challenge! Five century rides (100 miles) in the past five days. Bam!

Century 1: Awesome tailwind. Good start!
Century 2: Mild tailwind...still a good thing.
Century 3: Wicked crosswind. Doable, but a struggle. It's a good thing the day started with Latin dancing on the side of the highway (not kidding) to loosen up the Latin hips because today was all about holding onto the handlebars and keeping my hips loose. I got a side cramp after 75 miles because apparently my obliques aren't strong enough to do a side crunch ALL DAY! Left Montana, entered North Dakota!
Century 4: Awesome breakfast, awesome ride!
Century 5: Headwind, headwind, relentless headwind. Pain, tears, exhaustion. First ever ride after sundown. Beautiful, peaceful, amazing. Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might have the wish I wish tonight. My wish came true...I FINISHED!

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Zip!


Single tree in the middle of a field. Why? Is this a metaphor for life?

The road less traveled


Worst road conditions...tax dollars hard at work

Welcome to North Dakota!

Funniest sign! It was posted in the women's restroom, hence the gentlemen part is crossed out.

Geographical Center of North America and opening weekend of college football. Go Hawkeyes!

2 comments:

  1. "Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing," -Helen Keller
    Adversity makes us stronger. When you're done, you'll look back and the hard days won't seem so hard anymore...well maybe not, but the sense of accomplishment is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW (that was 5 wows for each century ride)

    ReplyDelete