We made it!!! Thanks a million for everyone's support! If you would still like to join us in support of young adults with cancer and First Descents, please visit my page to make a donation. http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2010/fd/hughes/

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Happy Halfway Across the United States Hump Day!

Happy Wednesday! Happy hump day! Happy halfway across the United States hump day!

Current biking progress:
Pacific Coast: check
Cascade Mountains: check
Sonora Desert: check
Foothills of the Rockies: check
Rocky Mountains: check
The Northern Great Plains: check
Part of the Midwest: check
Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, and Minnesota: check, check, check, check, check

Yep, that pretty much describes it. I am near the Minnesota/Wisconsin border. Yesterday during the ride across eastern Minnesota, I officially crossed the halfway point of this journey. I am halfway across the United States of America! One minute it feels like it is going by so quickly and the next it seems like it has been an eternity. Did you really ever stop to think how far 4000+ miles is? If there wasn't joy and beauty to counter the pain and laughter to counter the tears, 4000 miles would be an unbearably long way. But the joy is in the journey!

Mother Nature has been totally PMSing for the past 2 weeks and it is about time she pulled herself together. I think she was crying tears of joy for my halfway day, but to me it just felt like cold rain. Boo! However, it did lead to an entire day of laughter. Being ever-optimistic, I departed this morning in bike shorts, a short sleeve jersey, and a windbreaker. Ha! That was the first mistake. After three miles, I was soaking wet and freezing. Good thing mom had randomly stopped on the side of the road six miles outside of town, because I was frfrfrfreezing. The first picture was when I still looked like a normal cyclist. But by the time I added enough layers to be both warm and dry, I looked like a circus clown on a bicycle (insert next picture). Haha! Happy halfway across the United States hump day!

From here we are heading north (brrr!) through Wisconsin to the Northern Pennisula of Michigan with a minor detour to Mackinaw Island. From there, heading southeast across Michigan to the Canadian side of Lake Erie. eh, Canada! Then, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Bam!

Okay, picture to come later. This internet connection is slow as molasses. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment