We made it!!! Thanks a million for everyone's support! If you would still like to join us in support of young adults with cancer and First Descents, please visit my page to make a donation. http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2010/fd/hughes/

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Ode to the Winds of North Dakota

Ode to the Winds of North Dakota

You push, I push back.
You lean, I lean back.
You push harder, I push back.
You lean harder, I lean back.
You slap me across the face, I turn the other cheek.
You push, you lean, you slap, you shove.
You scream, you shout, you howl, you yell.

You push me around.
You throw me off course.
You stop me dead in my tracks.
You lean on me when I’m not strong.
You scream so loud, I can’t hear myself think.
And though you nearly tip me over
And though you bring me to tears
So long as every pedal stroke results in forward progression,
I will not surrender. I will not retreat. I will prevail.

Dear Winds of North Dakota,
This is not a threat. This is simply a self-reminder. But headwind for the past five out of six riding days is ridiculous. I walked into the gas station, restaurant, movie store, service station (you know the type) and everyone stared at me as if I were insane. Well, they might be right. You are driving me to INSANITY! Okay, maybe that is a bit dramatic. But really, why must you be such a bully—pushing and shoving and screaming and now spitting (rain). Do I get a swirly tomorrow? Great! Looking forward to it.
Until tomorrow,
Mary

Pictures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment